Patio awnings are coverings that protect your garden during hot or rainy days. There are two categories of awnings: the fixed and the retractable patio awnings. The fixed awning is a type of covering where a canopy is attached permanently to its structure. It is considered more affordable than the other type. It needs minimum or no maintenance at all aside from cleaning the canvas of dirt or any dry leaves and branches. On the other hand, the retractable form is pricier because it operates using a mechanical system. Its canopy draws backward and forward whenever you want to and is also detachable. This article will discuss buying tips, benefits and drawbacks of patio awnings.
Buying the right patio awning in Singapore can challenge you. However, with these buying tips, you can find and buy the best awning for your patio.
1. There are a large number of patio awnings available and a variety of manufacturers. When buying an awning it is important that you shop around as prices can vary between manufacturers and suppliers. It is even more important that you choose an awning that is of high quality as some have been known to fade prematurely or even rust.
2. Models can range from automated to manual. Automatic awnings are operated by a motor and can be retracted or extended with the push of a button or remote. Manual awnings will require you to crank a lever by hand. While not as convenient as automatic models manual awnings tend to be cheaper.
3. When investigating prices it is important that you have measured the area that you want the patio awning to cover. This way you will get an accurate quote for the size of patio awning you are after.
4. You should also consider that type of weather that is prevalent in your area. There are a number of patio awnings that are designed to suit extreme weather like extremely hot or high UV conditions. A lot of awnings don’t do well in high winds and can be damaged if they are left up during a windy day or storm. It is worth investing your money in a good quality patio awning, since not all awnings will stand up to adverse weather conditions. Though good quality awnings don’t have to cost the earth, you can find affordable awnings that are of fantastic quality.
5. An obvious decision you’ll be faced with is the type of awning and the reason why you want one in the first place. Obviously they are extremely effective at keeping the sun off your patio or garden. Tests have shown that a good quality awning could lower the temperature on your patio by 20 degrees. If you own a business like a cafe or a pub, then you may want to install awnings for walkway coverage or a smoking shelter when the weather is wet and not so great.
6. There are many types of awning like folding arm awnings, terrace awnings, canopies and walkway coverage, electric awnings, and you can also use them as signage for your business. They also come in many different shapes, sizes and colors so you need to consider where you will be putting your awning on your property.
7. You should also consider whether an electric awning will be best for you or a folding arm awning. The great thing is, these don’t have to be permanent fixtures, and they can be folded back and kept out of the way when you need them to be. They provide great protection not only for your patio, but also for any children who may want to play in the garden or on the patio, they can find shelter in a shady spot when your awning is set up.
8. As mentioned, patio awnings come in a variety of colors and styles so it is worth putting some thought into it before you decide what type of awning to go for. You can request samples so that you can see what the pattern material will look like next to your home and be sure that the awning you choose is right for your property.
Benefits of Patio Awnings
Having a patio awning in Singapore provides you with a number of benefits. The following are some of the benefits you can get from these awnings;
1. It reduces ultraviolet light from sunlight to enter into your veranda. Although an ordinary awning can provide you with minimum amount of protection, you can always increase its defense against UV light by acquiring a darker and thicker canopy. Also, manufacturers suggest having a special material that they provide to maximize its resistance against UV light.
2. Another advantage you can get from having patio coverings is that they preserve the cleanliness of your terrace from unwanted garbage or trash. In this way, you do not have to waste your time cleaning your veranda every now and then. Keeping your canopy clean all the time will provide you with a beautiful and good-looking patio awning and also it gives you longer years to replace it. You can achieve this with the use of a brush or broomstick while cleaning.
3. patio awnings trap any debris including dried up twigs. This helps to keep your terrace clean and uncluttered at all times. However, you need to regularly clean your canopy to ensure that you maintain them in good condition. This can be done by regular brushing or by using a broomstick to remove dirt.
4. Furthermore, patio awnings are better appreciated during the rainy season. With this, you can enjoy your patio with your friends and family without being concerned about getting soaked with rain. It also prevents accident brought about by slippery floors when wet.
Drawbacks of Patio Awnings
Then again, there are also several drawbacks on using patio coverings. They include;
1. Its durability is lesser compared to a real house roof.
2. It is also not advisable for areas vulnerable to extreme weather conditions where hurricanes and heavy storms are frequent.
3. Since it has continuous contact with sunlight and rain, it may deteriorate over the years and a replacement may be needed adding to your expenses.
Prices of patio awnings adjust depending on several aspects like the materials used, size, design and style. Some makers offer special items to supply you with long-lasting awning compared to other kinds. You can even customize your preferred style and design that will definitely keep pace with your existing patio decoration.